Do you want to learn a powerful secret from my team coaching tool box? If so you are in the right place: Create Your Team’s Code of Honor.
This article contains an exciting exercise that I use in my training sessions on Resolving Conflict and Employee Engagement. Clients enjoy using this strategy. They implement the ideas during and after the session. I hope that you see the value by using this powerful training secret. It can help you reduce conflict in the workplace and improve your working condition.
You may be asking yourself, “What is a code of honor?” A code of honor is a powerful set of rules that govern the internal behavior of any team.
Team Coaching Secret #1: Strategies to use a Code of Honor
- The rules are made by the team
- Team members are willing to stand and defend the code
- Each team member is personally responsible and accountable for his or her behavior
- It allows everyone to do their best work
- Everyone has to play by the same rules
- Everyone agrees to put in the time and energy – not just show up for work
- The team helps finds unique talents of other team members
Team Coaching Secret #2: The Team Will Not Be Happy All of the Time
- At times team members will be put on the spot
- Confrontation is part of the Code of Honor
- The code will protect everyone on the team from abuse as long as bold honesty, accountability, and support exit.
Team Coaching #3: Priorities When Using A Code of Honor
- The code and mission come first
- The needs of the team come second
- The needs of the individual come third – it’s not all about you!
Good luck with this one if you have a narcissist on your team.
Team Coaching Secret #4: The Code of Honor is the Police Officer
You may have to have the following conversation when a team member breaks the code: “This is not about me attacking you. This is about following the code. We all agreed upon the code. I’m uncomfortable doing this yet I need to speak to you since it will benefit all of us. It is not about being mean or blaming you. It is about sticking to what we decided to do.”
Team Coaching Secret #5: What to do When You or Someone Else Breaks the Code
- Take a deep breath
- Don’t take it personally
- Acknowledge the person
- Listen without interrupting If you made a mistake admit it
- Ask the person how to make it right
Thoughts from Joyce
Examples of code of honors are the following:
- Everyone come to the meeting on time
- No side conversations during the meeting
- Cell phones are turned off
- Everyone needs to participate
- The team supports members when harassment occurs and confronts the bully
The idea is for the entire team to come up with it’s own code. Leaders can’t persuade others what direction to take. I’ve seen miracles happen when this exercise is done right. The team can change the code to fine tune their goals.
Click here to discover a unique professional development strategy. It is a powerful on-line coaching Master E-Course: Communicate with Impact. Clients work with me on line for 2 months to resolve conflict in their workplace. They get total support with me by practicing powerful, proven, and practical strategies.
I want to hear from you!
CLICK HERE to send me your questions about creating your own code of honor. What is your experience when you created one with your team? Feel free to call me at 800.713.1926 if you want to explore options how I can come to your organization and facilitate a meeting for you to create your own code of honor. This is a perfect exercise for any board meeting or retreat.
Do You Want to See How Your Communication Impacts Your Success at Work?
CLICK HERE to take the easy and fun Communicate with Impact Quiz. You will get your results immediately and learn more about setting boundaries to be more effective at work and in your life. Sound good?
Here’s the LINK
Until next time,
This is Joyce Weiss, Communication Strategist and Coach
You can start tackling tough conversations with bullies, different generations, and even narcissists once you learn the powerful strategies. I will do whatever it takes to help you improve your quality of life.
Remember…You Get What YOU Tolerate!
See YOU Next Week.
Click here to discover a unique professional development program. It is a powerful on-line coaching Master Program: Communicate with Impact. Clients work with me on line for 2 months to resolve conflict in their workplace.
This personalized 4 week coaching program will help executives to emerging professionals
> Resolve conflicts
> Build communication skills
> Strengthen working relationships
> Using personal scenarios and exercises to address real life issues, participants will work at their own pace
It includes additional online coaching for the month after while practicing the life skills learned. They get total support with me by practicing personalized, powerful, proven, and practical strategies.
Here’s the link
PS Read more articles and listen to podcasts at our Team Building Strategies Knowledge Base https://www.joyceweiss.com/resources/knowledge-base/team-building-strategies/