I recently had the honor of being the keynote speaker for the MI Health Information Management Association (MHIMA) on the topic of Reducing Conflict in the Workplace by Creating Strong Teams. Their theme was Soaring Higher, Faster, Stronger…Through Team Synergy. A special thanks goes to April Martin and Marsha Allen for bringing me back and to Ginny Pitts and Denise Holstege for some great input from their interviews.
MHIMA members are dedicated to the effective management of personal health information needed to deliver quality healthcare in the public.
- Advancing data accuracy
- Advocating confidentiality
- Championing new technology
Hopefully the following tips that I presented to the members can provide you with strategies to help you build strong teams:
- The Johari Window Exercise is still an effective tool to take down barriers … improving communication skills
- Discuss the Arena: Things I know about me, you know about me
- Discuss the Potential: Things we don’t know about each other
- Discover Blind Spots: You know about me, I don’t know about myself
- Remove the Facade/Mask: Things I know about myself that you don’t
- Ask the important question…What do you bring to the team? Are you …
1. A Creator: Endless ideas, energy, confidence, enthusiasm?
2. An Advancer: Energy, promote ideas, excitement, some control, persistence, organization, make ideas real?
3. A Refiner: Find flaws, willing to challenge, pushes toward completion, likes research and details?
4. An Executor: Step by step you get the job done, thorough, good process thinker?
We need creators, advancers, refiners, and executors to create strong teams and reduce conflict in the workplace!
- Esprit de Corps happens when…
1. Each person is committed to each others success
2. The team supports each other during up and down times
3. The team does what ever it takes to succeed
If you have questions on any of these tips please feel free to call (800.713.1926) or email: Joyce@JoyceWeiss.com
Check out the short video below:
What is your most pressing issue about creating strong teams?
Was this helpful?
Let us hear your thoughts in the comment box below.
Feel free to share these tips with your team – just be sure to give Joyce credit when you share or publish.
Sign up at the RSS feed on the blog site to be included in future blog posts from Joyce on this subject.
For more information, articles and podcasts… visit https://www.JoyceWeiss.com
Until our next visit…Remember that YOU GET WHAT YOU TOLERATE!
Conflict in the Workplace Consultant