Welcome to Kick Conflict to the Curb Weekly!
- Are there certain people who you get along with really well?
- Do you know others who push your buttons?
- Do you know if your personal bias is getting in the way?
You can take an exercise after you watch the video below that may be revealing about your own personal bias. Take out the popcorn and let’s connect after watching it!
Here’s Your Personal Bias Excercise
Take a piece of paper and draw a vertical line down the middle.
- On the left side put the name of someone who you get along with really well.
- On the right side write the name of someone who drives you crazy.
- Write the characteristics of the names both on the right and left side of your paper.
- Look at the left side. Does this person remind you of you? I find that 99% of my clients who have done this exercise recognize that the description is their own characteristics.
Is Your Personal Bias Getting in Your Way?
I suggest that you do this exercise when you meet one of your triggers. I’m serious. This exercise will keep you on track on how you can keep your personal bias under control – especially with those who rub you the wrong way. This person will not be your best friend (I hope!). Knowing that your personal bias is in control may give you the energy to either ignore him or her or decide how you can carefully continue moving forward with the relationship – especially at work when you can’t select whose on your team.
Let’s Stay Connected!
Please share your thoughts about your own personal bias by commenting on the blog or sending me a private message at Joyce@JoyceWeiss.com. This powerful exercise is easy and impactful.
I appreciate every one of my loyal readers! Please share any of the Kick Conflict to the Curb Weekly posts to your friends/colleagues who could benefit from the coaching secrets or videos on resolving conflict.
Have a GREAT Week!
Joyce Weiss, M.A., CSP, CVP
Remember, You Get What YOU Tolerate!