- Do you feel like your team needs to remove communication barriers?
- Why don’t some people “get” what you’re saying?
- Are you tired of the bickering and infighting that stalls progress?
If so, you’re not alone. Communication at work can be tricky. In fact, when you properly assess the situation, you can take proactive steps. As a result, you will remove communication barriers so everyone is on the same page.
This could be a perfect time to see if you or your direct reports are ready to take Joyce’s online course. Look at the details at the end of the article.
Here’s an Overview of How the Process Works:
State your Challenge to Remove Communication Barriers
State your challenge in terms of what you want and need.
- Do you feel that your co-workers never listen to you?
- Is your boss always overlooking you for a promotion?
Whatever the challenge, state it as specifically as you can.
Identify the Symptoms of the Challenge
- How is your challenge exhibited?
- What are people doing or not doing that’s causing communication problems?
- Does someone constantly dismiss your ideas?
Figure out When the Symptoms Began so YOU Can Remove Communication Barriers
Consider creating a timeline, beginning with your first contact with the person and ending with the present. This will help you uncover a possible trigger event that caused the communication breakdown. For example, you might discover that your co-worker began dismissing your ideas when you got some fancy new equipment that he didn’t get.
Honestly Assess What You Have Done to Correct the Challenge
State what you’ve said or done to help remove communication barriers. For example, when your co-worker dismissed your idea, did you retaliate by spreading gossip about him?
Or did you talk to him in a positive tone? And ask him what he didn’t like about your idea?
If you continue to complain to your family and friends about the situation, this won’t help resolve the challenge.
Assess the Results of Your Efforts to Remove Communication Barriers
- What did the person say or do in response to each attempt on your part?
- Did the situation get better or worse?
- What symptoms still persist as a result of your efforts, or lack thereof?
Figure Out Possible Causes of Your Challenge so You Can Remove Communication Barriers
The goal here is to consider things you may have overlooked.
- What assumptions have you made?
- Did you automatically assume your co-worker is simply a jerk and doesn’t like you?
- Could your colleague be under tremendous stress? And facing personal challenges at home?
The more objective you can be, the better.
You can now approach the problem. Especially, since you’re armed with your data and information. And remove communication barriers once and for all. Now, you can approach any communication challenges with tact and ease. Give it a try you’ll be amazed at the results.
Find out how you or your employees can benefit from working with Joyce as your private coach.
Like What You Are Reading?
Website visitors are welcome and encouraged to share any of the videos and articles that have been authored by Joyce Weiss. All we ask is that you include the following information along with the article to be repurposed:
Joyce Weiss: The HR Professional’s Partner. She coaches employees and managers so they feel heard and respected. Which means they feel comfortable using their voice without losing their cool.
Kick Conflict to the Curb™ is her newest online 6-week course that is getting a lot of buzz in the training industry. Participants learn how to tackle tough conversations and earn the respect they deserve.
Joyce Weiss Training and Development LLC is Certified as a Best Practices Company.She is recognized by Espeakers as a Certified Virtual Presenter. The National Speakers Association awarded Joyce as a Certified Speaking Professional.
Do you want to Kick Conflict to the Curb™? Contact Joyce at 248.681.5831 or Joyce@JoyceWeiss.com.