How Can We Get Empowered, Part 2
Previously we covered the first two P’s of empowerment:
1. Permission…to make decisions and take risks.
2. Protection…even if they make a mistake.
Now, let’s go over:
3. Purpose: Know the company’s goals and answers to the typical conflicts that arise.
- Challenge your coworkers by asking why and why not. This forces constant improvement.
- Recognize market changes. Encourage problem solving and brainstorming. Technology is expanding at an amazing rate, making some present techniques obsolete. Look at trends and then be ready
4. Proficiency: Know the difference between complacency and excellence.
- Encourage people to think of themselves as the owners of their own careers. Help them learn features and benefits of every product and service in the company.
- Train people to listen to the client’s needs. Role play with common objections, so staff is prepared when they’re rejected. This way, everyone will be more prepared.
5. Pay-off: Appreciate and recognize superior work.
- All people have a basic need for appreciation don’t be afraid to speak up. Let your coworkers know the success of the business is partly due to their efforts and achievements.
When you use the 5 stages of empowerment you’ll see an increase in morale, productivity, and success. These are my tried and true methods – experiment with your own, then sit back and enjoy the fabulous results!
Like What You Are Reading?
Website visitors are welcome and encouraged to share any of Joyce Weiss’s videos and articles that have been authored by Joyce Weiss. All we ask is that you include the following information along with the article to be repurposed:
Joyce Weiss, M.A. CSP consults with frustrated emerging leaders and business professionals to kick conflict to the curb to get the respect they deserve. She shows clients how to successfully handle tough conversations, power struggles, peer bullying, narcissists, micromanagers, or mediocrity with confidence while keeping their cool. Just think, less drama and stress!
Joyce Weiss Training and Development LLC is Certified as a Best Practices Company.
She is a Certified Virtual Presenter through Espeakers and awarded the Certified Speaking Professional designation by the National Speakers Association and the International Federation for Professional Speakers.
Contact Joyce at 800.713.1926 or Joyce@JoyceWeiss.com.