How Can We Get Empowered, Part 1
Do these questions sound familiar?
- How can I encourage people to make decisions when management is absent?
- How can I encourage calculated risks so our company stays current?
- How can we act as a team, instead of individuals striving for separate goals?
The answer is in one word…EMPOWERMENT. Empowerment gives confidence, strength, and trust in your own authority. Successful businesses especially know the impact of an empowered team.
Learn the 5 P’s of empowerment to support motivated people who’ll bring long-lasting results:
1. Permission…to make decisions and take risks.
- Help people see how they’re setting up roadblocks to their success. You may hear people saying “I’m not ready yet”, or “I don’t know enough”. If I waited until I was ready to make that perfect keynote speech, I’d still be waiting!
- Encourage calculated risks! These positive statements should become standard in your workplace:
- “Everyone fears new things when they are on unfamiliar territory.”
- “The only way to get rid of the fear of doing something is to go out and do it.”
- “There are three kinds of people – those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those who wondered what happened!”
2. Protection…even if they make a mistake.
- Make sure the penalty for failure is not greater than the penalty for doing nothing. Part of growth is learning from our mistakes.
- Make sure you stand by your coworkers, even when they fail. If they make a mistake, ask this very important question, “What did you learn, and how would you handle it differently if this situation came up again?”
Check for the remaining P’s of empowerment in Part 2.
Like What You Are Reading?
Website visitors are welcome and encouraged to share any of Joyce Weiss’s videos and articles that have been authored by Joyce Weiss. All we ask is that you include the following information along with the article to be repurposed:
Joyce Weiss, M.A. CSP consults with frustrated emerging leaders and business professionals to kick conflict to the curb to get the respect they deserve. She shows clients how to successfully handle tough conversations, power struggles, peer bullying, narcissists, micromanagers, or mediocrity with confidence while keeping their cool. Just think, less drama and stress!
Joyce Weiss Training and Development LLC is Certified as a Best Practices Company.
She is a Certified Virtual Presenter through Espeakers and awarded the Certified Speaking Professional designation by the National Speakers Association and the International Federation for Professional Speakers.
Contact Joyce at 800.713.1926 or Joyce@JoyceWeiss.com.