How Can We Get Empowered, Part 1
Do these questions sound familiar?
- How can I encourage people to make decisions when management is absent?
- How can I encourage calculated risks so our company stays current?
- How can we act as a team, instead of individuals striving for separate goals?
The answer is in one word…EMPOWERMENT. Empowerment gives confidence, strength, and trust in your own authority. Successful businesses especially know the impact of an empowered team.
Learn the 5 P’s of empowerment to support motivated people who’ll bring long-lasting results:
1. Permission…to make decisions and take risks.
- Help people see how they’re setting up roadblocks to their success. You may hear people saying “I’m not ready yet”, or “I don’t know enough”. If I waited until I was ready to make that perfect keynote speech, I’d still be waiting!
- Encourage calculated risks! These positive statements should become standard in your workplace:
- “Everyone fears new things when they are on unfamiliar territory.”
- “The only way to get rid of the fear of doing something is to go out and do it.”
- “There are three kinds of people – those that make things happen, those that watch things happen, and those who wondered what happened!”
2. Protection…even if they make a mistake.
- Make sure the penalty for failure is not greater than the penalty for doing nothing. Part of growth is learning from our mistakes.
- Make sure you stand by your coworkers, even when they fail. If they make a mistake, ask this very important question, “What did you learn, and how would you handle it differently if this situation came up again?”
Check for the remaining P’s of empowerment in Part 2.
Like What You Are Reading?
Website visitors are welcome and encouraged to share any of the articles above that have been authored by Joyce Weiss. All we ask is that you include the following information along with the article to be repurposed:
Joyce Weiss, M.A., CSP has earned high praises from hundreds of businesses and organizations for her training and development programs that increased productivity and employee engagement in stifled workplaces where conflict, narcissists, bullying and other unhealthy workflow concerns occurred.
She works with clients to build the leadership and communication skills that make them top performers in their industry…which improves their quality of life.
Each program is personalized to fit the specific and unique needs of her clients. Adding an element of fun and personalized group exercises make her sessions unique with long lasting results. They learn how to tackle tough conversation.
Joyce Weiss Training and Development LLC is Certified as a Best Practices Company.
Contact Joyce at 800.713.1926 or Joyce@JoyceWeiss.com.